Welcome to BEMA Online!
BEMA exists to promote the interests and well being of BME (‘Black and Minority Ethnic’) students of African, Arab, Asian (Central, Southern, Eastern), Caribbean and Indigenous American descent on campus, and encourage empowerment our our communities through BME-led action and campaigns.
BEMA exists to:
– Work closely with the Ethnic Minority Students’ Officer to promote the interests and equality of access to a quality education and tenure at the university for all ethnic minority students at the university.
– Advise Guild Council and any Guild bodies on issues that relate to the social, political and welfare interests of ethnic minority students.
– Assist Guild Council and any Guild bodies in their promotion of, and campaigns for the social, political and welfare interests of ethnic minority students.
– We are part of the NUS Black Student’s Campaign and work closely with the network campaigning on issues of interest on a local and national level.
– We provide a comprehensive platform to voice and articulate the interests, concerns and opinions of the University’s ethnic minority students and present these to the Guild Council and relevant university policy makers.
-We facilitate and promote inter-cultural dialogue and understanding through actively championing cross-cultural events and initiatives within the student body.
-Represent contentions and suggestions of ethnic minority students to the Guild regarding ALL forms of discrimination; campaigning for equal and fair access to a quality education and students’ welfare.